Monday, March 30, 2020

Throwback Match Reviews: Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk

Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk (CWA) 03/23/1981


The version of the match that I found online was a clipped. After doing some research I learned that all that was cut out were the slower and down moments. All of the action was left in. While I personally enjoyed that, I need to have the full match in order to give it a proper rating. Keep in mind that my rating reflects what I saw only and while I’m assuming the slow periods were cut, I can’t let that influence my final rating.

This was a good hate-filled fight. Funk especially was great here with the punishment he inflicted on Lawler. Lawler played a good babyface. The crowd definitely enhanced this match. This is the first match I’ve watched for this project where I could not get into the frame of mind of the time. The problem is that I’ve seen a lot more of these hate-filled brawls done better. The match was good, worked well, had great crowd connection and was psychologically sound but it was not special in any way, even for the time.

Final Rating - ***½

No comments:

Post a Comment